How to Reset Saab Trionic 7 Throttle Body Limp Home Mode

November 20, 2010
By

Instructional video on how to reset Saab Trionic 7 throttle body in limp home mode. Applies to any 9-3 or 9-5 Saab with a black Direct Ignition Cassette and an electronic thottle body. For US market vehicles, any 9-5 and 9-3s from 2000-2002 and 2003 convertibles. www.strictlysaab.com

Video Rating: 5 / 5

Tags: , , , , ,

25 Responses to How to Reset Saab Trionic 7 Throttle Body Limp Home Mode

1. JustinHiFi on November 20, 2010 at 4:55 PM

No problem, glad to help. It is a really easy procedure anyone can do. Helps a lot with diagnosis throttle body problems.
    Justin
    Strictly Saab
    Melbourne, FL

2. borodani on November 20, 2010 at 4:06 PM

Awesome video! Thank you! I remember the first time i did this from a description it was a pain. Also I would add that you need to erase the trouble codes (check engine light) to make the car work properly. You can do that using and OBD 2 Scanner or if you dont have access to one pull fuse 35 for a bit with the car off. (I think its 35 i will double check) Anyhow pulling the right fuse from will cut power from ecu and reset it. You want to leave car idleing for 5 min after to recalibrate itself

3. motonaprawa on November 20, 2010 at 3:22 PM

Thanks for vid! In my car (2.3T ’00) after reseting (so that end of spring stays free and let that cogged wheel stay free of outside arm) engine doesn’t even want to idle because revs are too low. It simply stops second after starter stops. I haven’t done anything with the CPU yet. Have You got any suggestions? THanks!

4. ninjansx on November 20, 2010 at 2:33 PM

so it dont have to move with a tootle ?

5. mitchazr on November 20, 2010 at 2:18 PM

Outstanding! Thank you for an easy to follow video.

Well done!

6. pylga on November 20, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Thanks this video, I saved about 900EUR (1300$) !!
    I did this simple trick on my 9-5 2,3L (year 2001), and it worked perfectly. Without OBD tool, I pulled the fuse 17 for one second. It resets the CPU and clears the check engine / tcs off lights. After 100 miles, still working perfectly ! Pierre-Yves Andri, from Belgium.

7. ksmirnov1289 on November 20, 2010 at 1:33 PM

what do u do if it keeps goin in to the limp home mode?

8. JustinHiFi on November 20, 2010 at 1:11 PM

@ksmirnov1289 If it continues to go into LOM, replace the throttlebody.

9. Animelegend1987 on November 20, 2010 at 1:00 PM

My car keeps randomly stalling. it was runnning good for about 5 days, after I had took it to a shot and they told me that some air sensor was put on backwards and that it wasn’t receiving enough air. I think it might be the limp home mode thing. because i I have to rev up the car so that it doesn’t stall on my and once I drive around for a bit, it doesn’t shut off., but I always have to be in constant movement or it will shut off on me again

10. JustinHiFi on November 20, 2010 at 12:46 PM

What year and model? US spec? If it has the electronic throttlebody (Trionic 7) the Air Mass Meter could be installed incorrectly leading to a trouble code. With your stalling, is the check engine light on?

11. Animelegend1987 on November 20, 2010 at 11:48 AM

it is a 2000 Saab, 9-5 model. the check engine light is on and in order for me to actually drive it smooth without it stalling, I have to start it and keep my foot lightly on the pedal, until my thermostat gauge slowly goes into the middle, which usually takes about 5 minutes or so.

12. JustinHiFi on November 20, 2010 at 10:49 AM

@Animelegend1987 Yep, sounds like a potential LOM. To be safe have the code read for the CEL. You can also pull the battery cables off, reset the throttle and see if it goes back into LOM.

13. baldrich83 on November 20, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Does anyone know if the steps are the same for a 2005 9-3 model? Any help would be very much appreciated. I am having a hell of a time finding the spring and black cog….

14. JustinHiFi on November 20, 2010 at 9:31 AM

There is no such procedure for the 9-3 Sport Sedan (+03) with Trionic 8. If the throttle is setting DTCs then it must be replaced. It will enter its own limp mode and clear once the fault code is cleared and problem corrected.

15. steelhmr on November 20, 2010 at 9:27 AM

thank you so much for the video. what would you recommend for lubricating the throttle body gears? thanks again!

16. bluewolfsoldier1987 on November 20, 2010 at 9:19 AM

what cause the saab to go into limp home mode? and thanx you are a great help buddy!

17. bluewolfsoldier1987 on November 20, 2010 at 8:42 AM

Oh sorry and one more thing my car has the cog on the throttle body,and my car is a 2002 SAAB 9-3 SE turbo would this be applicable to my car? it should right? cause after your very usefull information i checked my throttle body and the cog moves with the throttle not without,thank you for your genrous time once again.

18. JustinHiFi on November 20, 2010 at 8:18 AM

Hello. Glad I can help you out. You want to be sure the cogged wheel moves separate from the throttle cable. If it moves with the cable, it is in limp mode and a reset is needed. There are numerous reasons why it goes into limp mode. Most of the time it is either one of the two position sensors or the internal wire insulation coming apart which grounds out a circuit. Here in the states, there are a couple rebuilders but I tend to replace them with new units on clients cars.

19. JustinHiFi on November 20, 2010 at 8:06 AM

Sorry for the delay in reply, I did not get an email update. Usually a thin spray based lubricant. I usually use a dry lube spray. Im sure many other types would work just fine as well.

20. bluewolfsoldier1987 on November 20, 2010 at 7:39 AM

……………………………because it is hard to see exactly where the screw driver is positioned at because everything was in the way and i couldn’t see it

21. bluewolfsoldier1987 on November 20, 2010 at 7:29 AM

ok on the throttle body limp home mode ordeal would that cause my saab not to start? such as the fuel pump? i think that iam not getting any power to the fuel pump uuuugh!,and one more thing buddy when you stated in the video “move the spring to the side” where? which direction? and how? i tried to do it and it wouldn’t move,maybe iam doing it wrong? oh and my saab is a 2002 93 se thank you for your time bud.

22. tuberichter on November 20, 2010 at 7:03 AM

Mir hat es auch geholfen. Habe aber erst die Feder nach links (also weg vom Gehäuse) gedrückt. Man muss sie aber hin zum Gehäuse drücken. das war auf dem Video nicht richtig zu erkennen.

23. robbmeex on November 20, 2010 at 6:50 AM

Thank You!

24. JustinHiFi on November 20, 2010 at 6:32 AM

@GoddardCraig Did you remove the battery cable while resetting the TB? If the fault codes are stored in the ECM at key on, it will activate the LHM solenoid causing it to go back into LHM. Best is to remove the battery cables while doing the reset. If after this it still enters LHM, the TB needs to be replaced.

25. riff1508 on November 20, 2010 at 6:10 AM

I just installed a new turbocharger, and the car would run great for a while and then Warning lights and stalling at low revs. I watched this video and 5 minutes later car is running great and all the warning lights have cleared. Thanks!

Featured Saab News